With the official summer kick-off holiday of Memorial Day weekend just around the corner, it’s a great time to try a new recipe or two for your holiday get together.
If you’re looking for a cool dessert that’s sure to please guests of all ages, you’ll want to be sure to offer this blueberry dessert salad. Don’t be surprised if several of your guests want this recipe so they can make it for themselves at home.
Blueberries Are Delightful!
Luckily, this easy dessert only requires 8 ingredients and can be put together ahead of time, so you can focus on things like BBQ’ing, swimming, playing cornhole or whatever plans and activities you have planned.
What you’ll need:
- 2 boxes of Grape flavored gelatin mix.
- 1 can of blueberry pie filling.
- 1 can undrained crushed pineapple.
- 8 ounces cream cheese.
- 1/2 pint sour cream.
- 1/2 cup sugar.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- 1 cup chopped pecans.
Mix gelatin in 2 cups hot water. Add pineapple, pie filling and 1/2 cup of pecans. Place in refrigerator until firm. Mix cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla – beating until smooth.
Spread cream cheese mixture on top of gelatin mixture. Sprinkle remaining nuts on top. Chill and serve.
As you can see, this recipe takes a relatively short period of time to prepare, but it’s big on flavor and makes a great addition to any holiday party – heck, it’s actually a great dessert option for everyday!
I hope that if you decide to make this, you’ll enjoy it as much as I do. Cheers!
With the Memorial Day holiday weekend fast approaching, it’s time to start thinking about what food you’re going to offer at your upcoming get together – or take to the home of your host.
Monkey Cake Makes Monkey Work!
Be Sure To Use Real Butter
Monkey Cake is a great dessert options that your guests are sure to love because you get to pull them apart, making it more fun.
This Monkey Cake is very simple to make and tastes great anytime of the day.
What you’ll need:
- 4 8 ounce tubes of biscuits. (Do not use buttermilk biscuits.)
- 1 cup sugar.
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter.
- 2/3 cup sugar.
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon.
1. In saucepan, heat one cup sugar and butter. Bring to a boil.
2. In a large bowl with a lid, mix 2/3 cup sugar and cinnamon.
3. Grease a tube baking pan.
4. Take 2 cans of biscuits and cut them into quarters. Place them in the large bowl with sugar and cinnamon – shake until biscuits are covered. Put coated biscuits into tube pan and pour half of the butter/sugar mixture over it. If you’d like to add nuts or raisins, do so now.
5. Take remaining 2 cans of biscuits and quarter. Repeat step 4.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
I hope that you do enjoy this very simple Monkey Cake recipe the next time you decide to bake! It’s definitely worth giving a try the next time you want to do something different with refrigerated biscuits.
Enjoying a dinner out with your family is an enjoyable way to spend some quality time together and leave the cooking and cleaning to someone else, which mothers and head of households are bound to appreciate. It also gives everyone in your family a chance to make their own decision on what they want for dinner, which kids love.
Although eating out can get expensive depending on where you decide to dine at, here are a few recommendations for affordable family restaurants that you might want to consider.
- Denny’s – Denny’s is a reliable family restaurant that’s open for business 24-7, even on holidays like Christmas and New Year’s Eve. This American style restaurant offers a diverse menu of items for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Popular breakfast items include their variety of “Slam” plates that feature different combinations of eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, waffles and hashbrowns. Patrons can also choose from omelettes, Breakfast Skillets or ala carte menu items. Families that are enjoying a lunch at Denny’s can choose from a diverse offering of sandwiches including burgers, patty melts, club sandwiches, chicken sandwiches, soups and salads. Their dinner menu features entrees such as T-Bone Steaks, Country Fried Steak, Fried Shrimp and others. Denny’s also offers a kids menu for diners with young children and select menu items on their “$2, $4, $6, $8 Value menu for those that are watching their spending.
- Cracker Barrel – Cracker Barrel is well known for their “home away from home” atmosphere and is another affordable restaurant option for families. Cracker Barrel also offers breakfast, lunch and dinner options to patrons in a friendly, warm, inviting environment. In fact, you’ll find a fireplace at every restaurant and they even use it and tend it during the colder months. Since they specialize in “country” cooking, guests can choose from traditional and everyday favorites such as breakfast samplers, ala carte menu items, sandwich platters, country dinner plates, vegetables and sides, salads, a lighter fare menu, soups, desserts and more. Cracker Barrel offers a children’s menu and daily meal specials to their patrons. If you don’t have the time to sit down and eat, Cracker Barrel offers “Country Sized Meals To Go” that include enough food to feed 6 for carryout. This includes a main dish, three quarts of side items and a loaf of Sourdough bread or a baker’s dozen of corn muffins or buttermilk biscuits. Additionally, you can order extra vegetables, bread, a main dish, or a cobbler dessert. This can either be ordered “in-store” or over the phone and is a great way to feed the entire family.
- Little Caesar’s – While most Little Caesar’s aren’t set up to accommodate sit down eating, they do offer competitive pricing on their “Hot-N-Ready” pizzas. Patrons can get a cheese, pepperoni or sausage pizza for only $5.00. Little Caesar’s also offers “made to order” topped pizzas, Italian Cheesy Bread, Pepperoni Cheesy Bread, Breadsticks, a variety of flavors of chicken wings and soda pop. In addition to the “Hot-N-Ready” pizza deal, there might be other in store promotions for meal deals that include bread or wings and beverages, so $20.00 can get you far.
- Subway – Subway is another affordable restaurant for families. The nationwide chain is known for their promotions of $5 Footlong subs and has built a solid reputation as being a healthier option for diners and gives them the choice of several bread options including flatbread, white and whole wheat. Their “Fit Choices Menu” gives calorie conscience diners the choice of several options including the Veggie Delite sub, turkey breast sub, turkey breast and black forest ham sub, the Subway Club, Roast Beef, Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki which contain lower calories and fat. Other subs Subway offers include the classic Meatball marinara sub, BLT, the Italian BLT, Steak and Cheese, Tuna, Subway melt, Chicken Bacon Ranch melt and others. Additionally, they offer small bags of chips, yogurt parfaits, salads, pop and even cookies for dessert. Subway offers a children’s menu and meal deals, too.
Finding an affordable restaurant for your family doesn’t have to be hard to do, especially if you know the places that offer great deals to their customers. I hope that these suggestions will help you and if there is anyplace that you’ve found to be a great, affordable restaurant for families, please let us know about it in the comment section. We’d love to hear your suggestions.